11 Dec 2009

So here's the thing.

I am pretty sure I know how to save money on the little things.
*Not hire a florist and do the flowers myself.
*Create a wedding website in lieu of everybody RSVPing via paper/post.
*Cut out silly things like favors, programs and custom whatevers.

And I have never felt the need for a dress more expensive than my former car.

But I have absolutely no idea how to save on a venue.

All the ones I have come across have been ridiculously expensive, with restricting parameters up the wazoo.

Granted, most I have searched thus far cater to weddings, and either this is what most bride and grooms want, or they just know how to take advantage of those planning their weddings. (I am leaning towards the latter, as quite a few venues rent the space for 5 hours to a wedding for twice as much as they rent the space to another type of event for the same amount of time, with not much difference in the extras that are included).

Either way, I am not your typical bride, and while Ben tends to be more traditional than me, he is also not a "big deal" kind of person.

So while the venues themselves (fabulous old barn, gorgeous seaside gardens, cozy historic inn) may be perfect, the people, rules and strings attached to them are the exact opposite.

I know it is still wicked early, and we have plenty of time to figure all this out, but all along I have felt that once we find a venue and get that all straightened out, everything else will pretty much fall into place.

And then I can start in with the fun stuff.

Like cross-stitching the table numbers.

Which I am inexplicably looking forward to.

I haven't cross-stitched in years.

Anywho, this has been the first frustration of the planning process, and I felt I needed to share.

You know, just for fun.


[pseudo-rant over]



But, seriously, if anybody knows a kick-ass place we can get married anywhere in the New England region that
a. does not require we use their in-house caterer/chef, or one from a 'pre-approved' list
b. allows more than 5 hours of space use for thousands of dollars (who gets married and has a memorable party in a mere 5 hours??)
and c. .......

well, those are the only two.

shouldn't be too hard to find, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment